Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Chromie mods

As requested by the OSP folks I'm gonna show everyone how I modified our hard plastic Lightsphere II to use the chromedome. Before I get started I should add that I have not tested this extensively yet, nor should you do this to your own lightsphere unless you can accept the fact that you might crack it and destroy it. I'm always bending, cutting, welding, and taking things apart that I shouldn't, so use your own judgement.

the lightsphere starts its life off like this.














I popped the clip on top off and went to work with a grinder (couldn't find my dremel) and ended up with this














It doesn't have to be smooth, just close to even. Then you take your Chromedome and apply about 4 blobs of hot glue to 4 equidistant parts.














Once you mash it onto the hacked up lightsphere put a heavy book on it for an hour or two and you're all done.














I like to gaffers tape my flash heads on since they like to come off at the most inappropriate times.














So there you have it.. a modded chromedome/lightsphere combo.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul and Laura said...

I'm sure that Gary Fong would be wincing if he ever read this!!!

Jan 24, 2007, 8:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! My lightsphere always falls off at the worst time too. Looks SO unprofessional when that happens. ; ) Not that the lightsphere does all that much for one's professional appearance in the first place. (But it does work, I have to admit.)

Feb 6, 2007, 5:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home