Thursday, February 15, 2007

V-day

Whats Valentine's day mean to you?

For me it was just another Hallmark holiday that I didn't celebrate, that was up until about 6 years ago. Laura and I had been dating for 2 years and she was pretty used to me blowing Valentine's day off. I've always said "who needs a day to be nice to the one you love when you should be nice all year" but we all know life's little bumps sometimes get in the way of that. So why do something special on a day that our significant others knows is coming... better to surprise them when they least expect it. Show me anyone who asks "what was that for" who would prefer to hear "because it's Valentines day!" rather than "because I love you!"

So back to 6 years ago. Laura was asking me if we were doing anything special and I kept saying that I hadn't planned anything but we could go to dinner if she was up for it. Of course our favorite place is Pete and Elda's Pizza so I said we could do that if she was in the mood. Of course she was gonna take what she could get if I was willing to do anything that night.

Little did she know what was coming. I waited till she was at work and made sure she had no chance of talking to her mom at all that afternoon (I knew my future mother-in-law couldn't keep this one to herself). So I called her parents and asked if I had their blessing. After a short discussion on dowry and monthly payments we had it all worked out (I'm kidding Peg!). So I had a ring, a flower, a plan, and parental blessings. Now I just had to make it through an hour drive and dinner without letting Laura know something was up (and since I'm not into Valentine's day, it truly was what she least expected!).

So I meet up with Laura and completely played up the "I'll go if you really want to" act. So after I pretend to be talked into it.. off we went. After we ate and heading towards the car, I say "you wanna go check out the beach?" and Laura says "it's February, its about 10 degrees out" but I convinced her it wasnt that bad and we should go check out the water since no one will be around.

We get to the beach and I go into the trunk of my car to put her ring in a rose. All of a sudden I get this rush of nervousness. Like I'm really shaking and really not myself, so I try to hide it and the flower from Laura but she can see I'm holding something.
So as fast as I can I take her over to a bench. I looked down at the flower and said...
"Crap, it fell out!"
of course she asks "What are you talking about?"
and I say "Nothing, I have something to ask you"
I get on one knee and ask her "Will you marry me?"
She hugged me, tearfully saying "yes"
and then I tell her not to move, the ring fell out of the flower and I have to find it. As I'm retracing my steps, she's calling my name and pointing to the flowers since it had fallen into the wrapping and not onto the ground. Disaster averted and engagement a success! We both had a good laugh and realized it was meant to be... an uneventful night would have faded into our memories and this one made it ours.

Now if you've made it through all of that, here's what I want to do for you. Tell us your engagement story. Put the subject in the email as "engagement contest" When we have 5 or more Laura and I will choose the best one and give you an engagement shoot and a gift book containing some of your favorite images completely on us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home